Online bookings are now closed. Please contact 01 8815727 or email@example.com if you wish to register.
Aims and objectives
A Practice Note has been issued by the Registrar of Solicitors and Director of Regulation setting out the regulatory implications of negative interest charges that some banks are seeking to impose on a firm’s client account. This practice note provides practical information and guidance regarding how a solicitor should comply with their obligations under the Solicitors Accounts Regulations where their bank imposes such charges on their client accounts. This webinar is an opportunity to hear the Director of Regulation and a member of the Law Society Task Force on Negative Interest Rate Charges give a practical explanation of the guidance notes and how this will impact on day-to-day practice.
A delegate who attends this webinar will
- Gain an understanding of the actions a solicitor should take when notified of negative interest charges on their client account,
- Gain an understanding of how negative interest charges may be recovered in the context of a solicitor and client relationship, and
- Gain an understanding of the general obligations and arrangements in respect of client moneys.
John Elliot has been Director of Regulation of the Law Society of Ireland since 2004. He is responsible for direction and management of the regulatory function of the Society and holds the statutory office of Registrar of Solicitors. He is a solicitor and previously worked in-house in financial services in both Ireland and the UK, having started his career in private practice.
Richard Hammond S.C. is a Partner with Hammond Good, Solicitors & Notaries Public, in Mallow in north County Cork. He is a member of the Council of the Law Society. He is a member of the Task Force established to give guidance on negative interest rates. He is or has been involved in a number of committees of the Law Society of Ireland including inter alia the Probate, Administration & Trusts Committee, the Mental Health & Capacity Task Force, the Gazette Editorial Board, the Professional Indemnity Insurance Committee, the Education Committee, and the Complaints & Client Relations Committee. Richard was the President of the Southern Law Association 2018-2019.
- The Zoom Webinar are held using Zoom Webinar and will not be recorded. If you miss the live workshop you cannot play back the event. You also may not avail of your CPD Hours for that event.
- Solicitor can complete their full CPD requirements for 2021 by eLearning. For more information see www.lawsociety.ie/CPDscheme
- For full program see our Brochure.
- View our Privacy Statement
- If you have technical or other queries, contact a member of the team on: Finuasskillnet@lawsociety.ie
* Applicable to Law Society Finuas Skillnet members