NOTE: Following your participation in this course Law Society Finuas Skillnet will issue you with a digital CPD certificate using blockchain-based technology. With blockchain, you can verify with others - such as the Law Society CPD Scheme section - the authenticity of your certificate in a matter of seconds. This initiative is the result of collaboration between Law Society Finuas Skillnet and VerifyEd. In summary, you will be provided with a complimentary secure, virtual library where you can save your future digital CPD certificates. This allows Law Society Finuas Skillnet to better serve you, our member, by providing an encrypted platform to issue CPD certificates with cryptographic proof that they were issued by Law Society Finuas Skillnet. [Allow 14 days for your certificate to be issued].
GDPR in Action: Guidance for Legal Practitioners on Data Security and Data Breaches
Aims and Objectives
Data security and data breaches are important to solicitors and their firms. Practitioners owe significant confidentiality obligations to their clients, which include taking measures to keep data secure. Practitioners may need to advise clients on data security issues or advise individuals who are affected by a data security incident.
This is a practical session, with examples, which aims to give guidance to practitioners in order to assist them in keeping data secure and dealing with a data breach. As well as giving guidance on how to advise a client. The speaker is a leading expert in this field and will share his knowledge and expertise with delegates.
Topics to be covered include
- Legislative provisions under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 relevant to data security and data breaches
- Data Protection Commissioner’s guidelines
- Appointing service providers
- How to respond to a data breach
- Personal data breach notifications and considerations
- Notification to the Data Protection Commissioner
- Notification to the data subject
- Post reporting, including
- Potential DPC enquiries
- Potential investigations
- Potential data subject enquiries
- Ongoing controller investigation and resolution
- Clients and their data security and data breaches
- potential division of responsibility in medium to large client organisations
- potential division of responsibility in smaller client organisations
- Coronavirus and data security
Paul Lavery, Partner, McCann FitzGerald Solicitors, Dublin
Paul is head of the Technology & Innovation Group in McCann FitzGerald and advises on a wide range of data protection, information technology, outsourcing, e-commerce, confidentiality and intellectual property issues. He writes and lectures widely on these and other topics. He is also a member of the Law Society Intellectual Property & Data Protection Law Committee
- On receipt of payment, login details will be sent to you by a member of our team via your provided email address. If you have not received login details within 2 working days of your booking please contact us on Finuasskillnet@lawsociety.ie or call the Law Society Finuas Skillnet Team in Dublin on 01 881 5727
- Should you have any technical queries please contact Finuasskillnet@lawsociety.ie
- This course must be completed in full to avail of the CPD hours on offer – a partially completed course will not qualify for any CPD accreditation.
- This course is available from date of purchase until 31 December 2021. You should download any course materials you require before this date as you cannot access this online course after 31 December 2021
- Solicitors may now complete the entire 2021 CPD requirement of 20 hours (including minimum requirements in the categories of ‘Management and Professional Development Skills’ and ‘Regulatory Matters’) online. For more information see www.lawsociety.ie/CPDscheme
- For full programme details download the Brochure
- View our Privacy Statement
- If you have additional queries, contact a member of the team on: Finuasskillnet@lawsociety.ie