- Purpose of Job This position contributes to the company's overall operation by processing debt collection legal proceedings for both copyright music and copyright sound recordings once all in-house credit control processes have been exhausted. The position sits in the Legal Department of the Irish Music rights Organisation (IMRO) and reports to the in-house Solicitor. The position aims to contribute to the maximisation of IMRO and Phonographic Performance Ireland (PPI) public performance cash collections through the issuance of debt proceedings.
- Job Context and Content The Legal Executive reports to and is under the day-to-day supervision of the In-House Solicitor and is responsible for the preparation, drafting, issuing, and progress of debt collection proceedings, including the execution of any judgments obtained on behalf of IMRO itself and IMRO as the agent of PPI. The Legal Executive will handle a large volume of debt cases, at both District & Circuit Court levels, at any one time and will work closely with the In-House Solicitor and the Credit Control and Licensing Sales teams. A vital aspect of the Legal Executive's role will be liaising with customers by telephone, letter, and email to obtain payment and negotiate payment arrangements.
- Principal Accountabilities • Collection of IMRO and PPI royalties. • Preparation and progress of all debt collection proceedings through the courts in the most cost-efficient manner possible, including drafting and issuing proceedings, contacting customers or their legal representation, drafting judgment sets, and liaising with various Sheriff's offices to enforce judgments obtained. • Hands-on liaison with customers and their legal representatives to ensure that all queries are resolved, and customers understand the reason for initiating proceedings. • Undertaking such other duties as may be assigned by management from time to time. • Liaising with customers by telephone, letter, and email to obtain payment and negotiate payment plans. • Liaising with PPI where necessary when a case has been passed to PPI.
- Working Contacts • Existing Customers Daily regarding the resolution of queries, legal proceedings issued, and clarification of legal obligations concerning IMRO's activities and monies due to IMRO. • In-House Solicitor and Colleagues Daily regarding the preparation and issuance of proceedings. • Credit Control Manager & Team Daily regarding cases once all non-legal avenues have been exhausted. • Courts Service Daily regarding lodging legal proceedings • National Licensing Sales Manager and Licensing Sales team As required regarding queries over the music used in a premise. • Liaising with PPI Daily, where necessary, when a case has been passed to PPI.
- Challenges Faced The core challenge faced by the Legal Executive is dealing with a large volume of small debt claims efficiently and effectively. Additionally, the Legal Executive will have to deal with difficult customers who refuse to engage with IMRO or the legal process or refuse to pay and negotiate with such persons.
- Planning and Organising Being organised in the preparation and dealing with legal cases is a crucial determinant of success in this position. The Legal Executive is responsible for the planning and organisation of their day-to-day work under the supervision of the In-House Solicitor.
- Direction Received A high degree of self-motivation and initiative is required for this position. The caseload will dictate priorities. Challenging issues are referred to the In-House Solicitor, the Credit Control Manager, or the Chief Operating Officer.
- Knowledge and Experience A strong background in contract law is required. The ability to handle a large caseload is essential, alongside strong commercial case management skills. The job holder must be computer literate with knowledge of MS Office applications. Initiative, organisational abilities, good report writing skills, and good communication and interpersonal skills are necessary for the individual holding this position. Interaction with staff and management at all organisational levels will be typical. An ability to work under pressure and to deadlines is essential.
To apply send CV and cover letter to HR@imro.ie