In-House Update - February 2019
Access news, resources and training for in-house solicitors in the private and public sectors.
A number of recent news items relevant for in-house solicitors are listed below.
- The latest issue of the Gazette has an in-depth report on the 2018 In-house and Public Sector Conference. Read the Jan/Feb 2019 Gazette
- The latest newsletter from the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE) features information on the new CCBE Presidency for 2019, recent activities in e-justice, and the upcoming Day of the Endangered Lawyer. Read the CCBE Newsletter
- The International Bar Association (IBA) is inviting applications for scholarships to its Annual Conference in Seoul. The scholarships will be awarded to young lawyers who wish to participate in the Annual Conference, but who may face financial difficulties in doing so. See details of IBA scholarships
- New measures to combat the risk of falsified medicines entering the supply chain have been signed into law by the Minister for Health, Simon Harris. Read a report on Gazette.ie
Find some useful resources for in-house solicitors here.
- There is a strong proven business case for legal departments to promote good physical and mental health for all staff. In a recent article, LawCare offers practical advice for supporting mental health in the legal workplace. Read tips for creating a mentally healthy workplace
- The Society made a detailed submission on the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission’s Draft Code of Practice on Sexual Harassment and Harassment at Work. The submission recommends clarifying and updating several portions of the draft code, which is of relevance to all employer organisations. Read the Society’s submission on sexual harassment and harassment at work
- New books in the Law Society Library cover private enforcement of EU competition law, the Companies Act 2014, white collar crime in Ireland and more. Access Library resources
For comprehensive information on all the benefits offered to Law Society members, download the Member Services Directory
The Diploma Centre and Law Society Professional Training provide training for in-house solicitors in the private and public sectors.
- The In-House and Public Sector Committee, with Law Society Finuas Skillnet, is hosting a panel discussion on 16 May. The discussion will be facilitated by a select panel of both public and private sector in-house solicitors, focussing on getting and demonstrating value for money in legal services. Book the In-House and Public Sector Panel Discussion 2019
- Applications are still open for the Certificate in Strategic Development for In-House Practice. This course has been designed by solicitors in both commercial and public sector organisations who wish to contribute to the growth and direction of their organisation through the development of their own in-house practice. See details of the Certificate in Strategic Development for In-House Practice
In-house solicitors can connect and network with colleagues across organisations using a private LinkedIn group.
The In-House and Public Sector Committee
The In-House and Public Sector Committee aims to represent the views and promote the interests of this segment of the profession, while supporting the Law Society in the exercise of its representative, educational and regulatory roles as they relate to the in-house sector. Log in to find out about the In-House and Public Sector Committee.