This is an exciting role working with an award winning team in the area of professional legal education. It will suit an enthusiastic candidate who is capable of working on their own initiative and managing projects. The Diploma Centre in the Law Society offers various postgraduate Diplomas, Certificate courses, Masters programmes and a Professional Doctorate in Law for solicitors.
The successful candidate will have a legal background and an interest in education.
Duties include managing projects, designing new courses, acting as Course Leader on a discrete portfolio of courses and contributing to creative ideas within the team. The successful candidate will have responsibility for all aspects of these courses, from recruitment of associate faculty, co-ordination of course delivery, liaising with students, and facilitating the assessment process. The work will involve using innovative course delivery methods, including blended and on-line learning and webcasting. Successful candidates will become experts in professional legal education and online learning.
As the Diploma Centre courses are delivered to solicitors in practice, much of the course contact hours take place outside office hours. Therefore, the candidate must be capable of a high degree of flexibility and be available to work weekday evenings and Saturdays when required during course time.
This is a two year contract position reporting to the Head of the Diploma Centre. Terms and conditions will reflect the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Main duties and key responsibilities
The successful candidate will carry out the following duties in line with the Society’s standards and strategic objectives and as directed by the Head of Diplomas.
Act as Course Leader on a range of Diploma Centre courses
- Manage own portfolio of courses, including the recruitment of lecturers and co-ordination of course delivery
- Build strong working relationships with adjunct faculty / expert lecturers
- Be the first point of contact for lecturers and students
- Undertake evaluations of current courses in order to improve content and delivery
- Provide recommendations and input on how to improve existing courses.
Identify potential opportunities for new courses
- Coordinate various activities and projects within the Diploma Centre as they arise
- Deal in a highly professional manner, with a large volume of enquiries from members of the profession and public regarding the diploma programme.
Assist with EU grant proposals
- Write promotional articles relating to courses
- Act as Secretary to a Law Society Committee, if required.
- Assist with other ad hoc duties as they arise.
Knowledge and skills
- Be an experienced Solicitor or Barrister with experience in education or training sector an advantage;
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be capable of working in a highly pressurised environment;
- Enjoy working on own initiative;
- Be methodical, flexible and capable of undertaking multitask driven work;
- Be capable of working and adapting to the needs of a small and highly integrated team;
- Have a good, friendly and professional telephone manner and experience of dealing with a large volume of enquiries over the phone;
- Have a proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Proactive approach with a can-do-attitude to work;
- Be flexible and available to work weekday evenings and Saturdays when required;
- Have good IT skills, able to handle data input, production of reports etc.;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
Remuneration and benefits
- Salary (DOE)
- Excellent working conditions
- Training and development opportunities
How to apply
To apply for this job, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ box in blue. Alternatively you can send your CV and cover letter to Recruit@lawsociety.ie.
Appointment to this role is subject to the candidate’s eligibility to work in Ireland, without any restrictions.
Thank you for your interest in the Law Society of Ireland and your interest in this role. Due to the level of response required, only successful candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted by the HR department. For more information on Data Protection policies please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.