An exciting opportunity to work in community law has arisen. Ballymun Community Law Centre are looking for a Managing Solicitor. This role will give a Solicitor with an interest in human rights law and access to justice an opportunity to make a difference to people living in a socio-economically disadvantaged community.
Ballymun Community Law Centre was established in 2002 to tackle unmet legal need in Ballymun. The Law Centre provides legal advice, representation, legal education, and Alternative Dispute Resolution services to the community. They aim to empower individuals to achieve equality and realise their human rights through increased access to the law. Their legal focus is on areas of unmet legal need in Ballymun.
For example, they provide legal advice services in the areas of housing, employment, social welfare, and equality related issues. The position is 30 hours a week with the exact working days/hours to be agreed with the successful candidate. The role is on site in Ballymun.
- Provide legal advice and information on a range of areas to individuals and community groups.
- Deliver drop-in legal outreach clinics in the community.
- Manage a caseload of legal representative casework.
- Deliver legal talks and educational courses as required.
- Oversee the provision of legal services in the Law Centre to ensure that services are delivered competently and in a professional manner, and in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Develop and maintain relationships with counsel offering their time pro bono.
- Supervise the work of the legal support staff, interns, or volunteers.
- Support and develop the legal team in line with the ethos of BCLC.
- Oversee the legal case management system.
Governance and Quality
- Ensure that legal and other professional obligations of the Centre (e.g., insurance, Law Society reporting) are fulfilled.
- Ensure that BCLC successfully achieves the Q Standard for Independent Law Centres, and that policies and procedures are up to date, regularly reviewed and implemented.
- Ensure that resources are applied effectively and with due regard to the control of costs.
- Participate in the Independent Law Centre Network on behalf of BCLC.
- Promote a culture that reflects BCLC’s values and ensures its organisational effectiveness.
- Work as part of a team to ensure that high standards are developed and maintained in office procedures and case management and ensure that services are delivered in a way that meets the needs of clients.
- Effectively manage and maintain BCLC premises and property, and ensure the security of all data, including application of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Provide reports and information as requested by management and the board of BCLC.
Strategy and Fundraising
- Actively manage relationships with key stakeholders in the legal sector, within the Ballymun community and with donors, funders and volunteers.
- Contribute to the delivery of BCLC’s strategic plan.
- Collaborate with management and the board to articulate the Law Centre’s vision and to develop and implement strategies for achieving that vision.
- Develop and monitor strategies to ensure the long-term financial viability of the Law Centre.
- Monitor the Law Centre’s impact through the recording of statistics, feedback from clients and lead on the development and implementation of other impact measurement tools.
- Ensure that the Law Centre and its purpose and services are strongly and positively presented to relevant stakeholders and actively advocate for BCLC and community law in external fora.
- Liaise with external organisations regarding the promotion of BCLC and represent BCLC in the media when necessary.
- Develop and implement fundraising strategies in conjunction with management and the Board and actively develop and foster fundraising relationships and opportunities. Such other tasks or duties necessary to assist in the carrying out of the work of the Law Centre as directed by the Manager or Board of BCLC.
- An appropriate third level qualification (to at least Level 8) in a relevant discipline.
- A professional qualification as a solicitor with minimum two years post qualification experience in an Irish context.
- Experience of handling a variety of legal and policy matters.
- Experience advocating before quasi-judicial fora, e.g. WRC, RTB, etc. and/or the District Court.
- A demonstrable interest in or commitment to helping those who are disadvantaged and using law to advocate on their behalf.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to command the confidence of funders, donors, and other stakeholders.
- A professional attitude with an ability to work under pressure and to act on one’s own initiative.
- Experience in the area of human rights law.
- Prior achievements in delivering on organisational vision and strategy.
- Experience working within the not for profit/community/voluntary sector.
- Knowledge of legal issues affecting those in socio-economically disadvantaged communities and specifically the issues affecting Ballymun.
- Experience using legal case management software.
- Driver’s licence and own vehicle.
- Negotiable depending on experience.
Hours of Work:
- 30 hours per week.
- Exact working hours/days can be agreed with successful candidate.
- Some flexibility required on occasion for community talks, lectures etc. that occur in the evening.
- 22 days annual leave, plus time off at Christmas.
If you wish to apply please email a CV and cover letter to: email@example.com