Planet is a revenue generating payments service and technology provider. Planet helps businesses meet the needs of their customers by simplifying complex payments, helping people spend freely. Founded over 30 years ago in Ireland, Planet now employs over 1,600 staff in more than 60 markets on five continents.
Serving over 600,000 merchants and 100 partner banks, Planet manages in excess of 800 million transactions worth more than €45 billion in value. Planet helps merchants in the retail, hospitality, food and beverage and parking sectors deliver an exceptional customer experience by simplifying complex payments, helping people spend freely in-store, on-site or online.
Planet provides full stack payments on a single platform offering acquiring, VAT Refund and Currency Conversion services. Planet’s ambition is to generate revenue for our customers through highly differentiated, digital payment services. Underpinning this is a continued passion to retain its cultural DNA. Planet Payment was acquired by Planet for $250 million in 2017, and 3C Payment in 2020. Planet is part of the Eurazeo portfolio of growth companies.
Planet is seeking a talented Legal Counsel with a strong background across a range of commercial legal matters and experience ideally within the payments, FinTech or financial services sector to provide maternity cover for 12 months. Reporting directly to the Chief Legal and Risk Officer, who leads the Legal, Risk and Compliance Team, the successful candidate will join a team comprising three lawyers and thirteen other legal, risk and compliance professionals.
The successful candidate will contribute towards delivering the function’s goal of enabling the Group to (i) comply with its legal and regulatory obligations and in accordance with the Group’s policies, ethics and values; and (ii) identify, assess and manage risks to support the delivery of Planet’s strategic, business and financial goals in line with its risk appetite. This is a great opportunity to work on a broad range of projects across multiple jurisdictions and play a key role in supporting Planet’s rapid growth.
What you will do
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements;
- Resolve legal issues and contract interpretation matters that arise during negotiations;
- Advise on special projects as needed, including new product developments, while taking into consideration their legal and regulatory impact;
- Maintain various standard agreements;
- Manage Planet’s trademark and patent portfolio;
- Working with the Associate Company Secretary, oversee corporate governance matters;
- Identify, communicate and ensure all legal risks are within appetite. If necessary, escalate legal risks together with appropriate recommendations and mitigations;
- Flag new legal and regulatory developments and consider their impact on Planet;
- Review business proposals/tenders/rfps Keep fully conversant with the new and emerging product lines developed by Planet and with the wider payments innovation ecosystem;
- Have a good awareness and understanding of the regulatory and other legal environments within which Planet operates;
- Support internal and external audit reviews.
Who you are
- Be a qualified lawyer in Ireland, England and Wales or another common law jurisdiction, with 5+ years' post qualification experience in a leading law firm and then having gained industry experience in-house;
- Have a broad-ranging corporate, commercial and IT experience;
- Be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the legal issues affecting the payments industry, including data privacy and security;
- Have prior transactional experience leading on contract negotiations in relation to some or all of the following: direct acquiring; indirect acquiring with sponsoring banks; payment processing; gateway services; and multi-currency pricing solutions for a payment services provider (or equivalent); fin-tech; bank; or e-money institution Strong analytical thinking with the ability to impact and influence;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to organise and prioritise workloads while acting on own initiative;
- Passion for simplification and efficiency/process improvement;
- High level of written and interpersonal communication skills;
- A business mindset with a drive to find solutions that allow business and market share growth in a prudent and long-term-oriented approach;
- A high degree of discretion and the ability to work with sensitive and confidential data;
- Honesty, integrity and resilience.
Your skills and company values
- They Search for Better;
- They Celebrate Differences;
- They Go Beyond Expectations;
- They Grow Together.
If you wish to apply for this role please click at Legal Counsel
Closing date for applications is 22 March 2021 at 5pm.