Transport Infrastructure Ireland is seeking to recruit a Commercial Lawyer - Data Protection/FOI/IT to join their team. The Governance and Legal Department is responsible for the management of legal matters affecting TII and for oversight of corporate governance. The department manages a wide remit of legal matters including commercial contracts and procurement, insurance, claims and litigation, property, planning and environmental, statutory interpretation and general legal advices.
The department advises on the obligations and rights conferred on TII by the various Roads Acts and Transport Acts. As well as offering legal services directly to TII, the department manages relationships with external legal advisors as required. TII enters agreements to support its corporate functions and for the purposes of road and light rail projects. This role provides legal input and advice to support the organisation and the development and implementation of these projects.
Role and responsibilities
The principal duties of the position will include:
- Advising on IT related licences, agreements and general matters;
- Advising on GDPR and supporting TII’s Data Protection Officer in the performance of their role;
- Advising on Information Law, including Freedom of Information and Access to Environmental Information;
- Advising on general commercial matters relevant to TII’s business and projects;
- Advising on compliance and regulatory issues;
- Advising on proposed and existing commercial agreements put in place for TII projects including conducting negotiations, where necessary, on behalf of TII, liaising with service providers, insurers and third parties;
- Legal support for contract administration, commercial disputes and claims;
- Providing in-house training to different disciplines on legal and contractual matters;
- Undertaking such tasks, activities or other duties as may be required or assigned appropriate to the grade.
- Candidates must be professionally qualified solicitors or barristers with strong academic qualifications, and excellent commercial awareness;
- Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years relevant postgraduate work experience (following completion of primary degree). This period can include time spent working as a trainee solicitor or barrister;
- Candidates should have 2 years post qualification experience (following admission to Roll of Solicitors or call to the Bar) in Commercial Law, Information Law (to include IT, FOI and/or Access to Information on the Environment) and/or Data Protection;
- Knowledge and understanding, or a demonstrated ability to quickly acquire same, of national and European data protection laws and practices including a detailed understanding of the GDPR;
- Knowledge and understanding, or a demonstrated ability to quickly acquire same, of national and European Information laws and practices, including FOI and AIE;
- Understanding of information technologies and data security and related legal areas;
- Ability to promote a data protection culture within TII;
- The successful candidate will have exceptional analytical and communication skills together with the ability to work effectively as part of multi-disciplinary teams with colleagues and external advisers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of the organisation;
- Highly organised, with attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Report writing and presentation skills required;
- Ability to review and interpret complex information and present it in summary form;
- Fluency in the English language, both written and oral.
- Additional experience in judicial review, construction law, commercial law, procurement, planning and environmental law, projects, or a related area is desirable.
If you wish to apply for this role please click here.
The closing date and time for applications is strictly 12pm (noon) on Friday 17 July, 2020.