Create a good response
While there is no perfect answer to the frequently asked interview question ‘so, why should we hire you?’ having a well-researched and well-rehearsed response will make it a less challenging situation. The below tips will help you create a good response to this commonly asked interview question.
- Research the role offered – look at others doing a similar job.
- Know about the company – visit the company’s website, seek out news articles, etc.
- Understand how they work and what they expect from their employees.
- Find out more about the interviewers – aim to find a common interest.
Analyse and Map
- Analyse and map out where your own experience matches the job.
- List the skills you have that match their job requirements.
- List examples of when and how you showed these skills.
- Know your USP – unique selling point.
- If you worked for a similar organisation or in a similar role incorporate this into your answer.
- Show how you could be of value to the company.
Gather the Information
- Gather all the information together.
- Write out a draft answer incorporating the salient points related to the role and the organisation.
- Include some proven examples of your experience and research to date.
- Be clear, concise and confident in your answer.
- Keep your answer short but memorable, finishing off with a summary of your overall abilities.
- Practice your answer with friends and family.
- Get feedback and make improvements.
- Aim to get a good balance without the oversell.
- Use a natural, confident and enthusiastic tone in your reply.
For more helpful information to support your job search, see our Job Seeking Tips.