Why join LinkedIn?
You can use LinkedIn to find out about job opportunities, research, network and to develop your personal brand. The level of benefit you derive from the site is dependent on how well you maintain your LinkedIn profile.
- Your profile needs a good photograph.
- A head and shoulders picture with a plain background is best.
- Use the name that you are most commonly known by.
- List all previous jobs and educational details.
- Keep information up to date.
Headline and Summary
- The headline is critical. It goes right under your name.
- Identify your profession or speciality in your headline – not your current job.
- Use the summary section to prompt people to look through your whole profile.
- Be concise in the summary and don’t say things that are elsewhere.
- Highlight specialities you have in the summary section.
- Keywords reflect what a person does and her/his expertise. They are used by recruiters and employers when they do LinkedIn searches.
- Decide on the 4 to 5 keywords that reflect you.
- Ensure your keywords all feature in each of the five key areas of your profile. These are your headline, your summary, your specialities, your current job and your previous one.
- Connect with people you know and knew in the past.
- Get and stay involved in chats with connections.
- Seek recommendations and offer to provide recommendations.
- Provide skills and endorsements. In return, you’ll receive ones.
- Join groups and get involved in discussions.
For more helpful information to support your job search, see our Job Seeking Tips.