Maintain your profile
You can use LinkedIn to find out about job opportunities, research, network and to develop your personal brand. The level of benefit you derive from the site is dependent on how well you maintain your LinkedIn profile.
- Have you included a good photograph?
- Are you using the best name possible?
- Are job seeking efforts well served by the headline in your profile?
- Does the ‘Education’ summary capture what is most important?
- Have you a personalised URL?
- Does your summary section tell an interesting outline story?
- This section is best written in the first person. Is yours?
- Is your text segmented – in paragraphs and with headings?
- This section should have a call for action. Does yours?
- Does your summary provide contact details – such as your email address?
- Is information about each job distilled to the minimum possible?
- Are recommendations in place for all recent employments?
- Have best names been used for all previous employers?
- Do previous job titles reflect appropriate career progression?
- If you’ve had many short term jobs, have you merged these?
- Are you using the most appropriate key words?
- Were key words inserted without compromising the text they were incorporated into?
- Is your profile largely free of typos?
- Are your settings appropriate – such as visibility of your contacts?
- Have you connected with enough people and joined enough groups?
For more helpful information to support your job search, see our Job Seeking Tips.