Law Society Skillnet is to hold a workshop next week on how to manage conflict in the workplace.
The event, which is worth three CPD hours, takes place in Blackhall Place on Wednesday 27 September (2pm to 5pm).
This workshop, which is limited to 12 participants, is open to all staff working in a solicitor’s practice or in-house in the legal-services sector.
The aim is to learn about the nature of conflict in the workplace, the different handling styles, and how best to manage conflict effectively.
Topics and objectives
The workshop will examine the common sources of conflict, the associated advantages and drawbacks, and offer the opportunity to share experiences.
The topics are:
- Common sources of conflict and differences,
- The stages of conflict,
- My reaction to conflict,
- Thomas-Kilmann styles of managing conflict, and
- Typical scenarios and action planning.
- Understand the nature of conflict in the workplace,
- Know the various sources of conflict and the associated benefits and disadvantages of conflict,
- Understand the five different styles of handling conflict (Thomas-Kilmann) and identify own style,
- Apply techniques and tips to effectively handle challenging situations involving conflict,
- Discuss dealing with conflict through a number of typical case studies.
The trainer is Naoise Blake, who has 25 years of experience as a facilitator, trainer, people manager, coach, mentor, learning-and-development manager, business manager and consultant.