There was an annual decrease of more than 23% in the total number of dwelling units approved in Quarter 2 (Q2), CSO figures show.
The figures stood at 8,723 units compared with 11,374 units in Q2 2022, while in Q1 2023 an annual increase of 38% was recorded.
For the six-month period January to June 2023, there was an overall increase of 3% in the total number of dwelling units approved when compared with the same period in 2022.
Apartments accounted for 58% of all dwelling units approved, while housing units made up the remaining 42%.
The number of houses granted planning permission fell by 18% on an annual basis to 3,702 units, while apartment approvals were down by 27% to 5,021 units.
In Q2, there was an annual decrease of more than 36% in the number of one-off houses receiving planning permission, compared with an annual decline of 32% in Q1.
There was an annual fall of 6% in multi-development houses receiving planning permission in Q2 compared with an annual increase of 81% in Q1.
Across the four local authorities of Dublin, planning permission was granted for 3,351 apartments in Q2, accounting for two-thirds of all apartments granted planning permission in the state between April and June of this year.
More than one in five (21%) of all dwelling units granted planning permission in the state in Q2 were in the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council local authority area, with 1,747 apartment units and 93 houses.