Solicitors in the Midlands will have the opportunity to update their knowledge in areas of law relevant to general practice at an event on Thursday, 4 May.
The Midlands General Practice Update 2023 is organised by Law Society Skillnet, in association with Laois Solicitors’ Association, Kildare Bar Association, Midland Bar Association and Carlow Bar Association.
This year’s event takes place at the Midland Park Hotel, Portlaoise, Co Laois, and runs from 10am to 5.30pm. Attendance offers six CPD hours.
The aim is to offer practitioners a practical update in relevant areas from experienced practitioners and expert speakers. There will also be an opportunity to network with colleagues over lunch and an evening drinks reception.
Topics and speakers
The topics to be covered include:
- A practical guide to the implementation of new legislation on assisted decision-making,
- Recent developments in family law – including domestic violence and pensions,
- A look at recent changes in probate,
- A guide to advertising regulations – including advertising on social media and on websites,
- The future of the legal profession,
- New solicitors' guide to conduct: an overview,
- Website traffic – what kind of asset is your website, and
- Team-building and self-motivation from Olympic medal-winning and world champion rower Gary O'Donovan.
Chair and speakers include:
- Susan Bourke (marketing and business mentor, Legal RSS),
- Justine Carty (member of Guidance and Ethics Committee, solicitor PRAI),
- Helen Coughlan (member of Family Law and Child Law Committee, and partner, Patrick J Farrell & Co Solicitors),
- Mark Garrett (Director General, Law Society),
- Áine Hynes SC (partner, St John Solicitors, chair of Mental Health and Capacity Taskforce),
- Eamonn Maguire (complaints manager, Law Society of Ireland),
- Anne Stephenson (principal, Stephenson Burns Solicitors, chair of Probate Administration Trusts Committee),
- Gary O'Donovan (rower).
This will be a live in-person event and will not be available online or as a recording.