Check in regularly for the latest timetable and course information for PPC I below.
PPC I 2019
Start Date: Tuesday 3 September 2019
End Date: Thursday 12 March 2020 (inc exams)
Please note: iPad training and iPad clinics for PPC 1 trainees will take place over the first two days of the course. Attendance at these sessions is compulsory.
Trainee news and events
See news for trainees and welcome events below:
See updates on extramural classes, events and more under Trainee news. You can also follow us on social media:
News and competitions
Timetable and forms
Please note the PPC II timetable is always in a draft format and is subject to change.
For the duration of the PPC1 trainees will have access to an iCalendar which once downloaded will update your Outlook and/or iCalendar. Updates to the timetable will be pushed out automatically.
It is important to note that the timetable will always be in a draft status due to situations that can arise over which we have no control e.g. lecturers having to cancel at the last minute, bad weather etc.
- Core 01-12 - available to download from 4 Sept 2019
- Core 13-24 - available to download from 4 Sept 2019
Unfortunately, we are not in a position to take stream requests this year and there are various reasons for this. We anticipate we will only be running two streams. This means that the start times are very close together, with only a half an hour difference between the two most days. Also, we are auto-assigning students to tutorial and skills groups. These are generated through our central system and we cannot manually assign a person to a particular stream.
Core and Skills Tutorial Group Information
Only students with a registered status will be allocated a core tutorial group.
In order to obtain a status of registered - trainees must have paid the course fee and returned correctly completed Deed of Indentures etc. If you still have questions re your application – please email email@example.com.
Core and Skills Group information is accessible 1 week prior to the commencement of the course.
iPads are used across all courses on PPCI and PPCII.
All PPCI trainees must select an iPad, available from Thursday 11 July until Wednesday 24 July 2019.
The iPad included in course fees for PPCI 2019 students is the 6th Generation 9.7 32GB iPad. This iPad also supports the Apple Pencil should you wish to purchase one. You can also upgrade to a higher spec iPad - consult www.apple.com/ipad/ before making your choice.
- Log into the Law Society website using your Law Society ID number (also known as your FE-1 number). If you need to, you can reset your password. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select your iPad - either the 9.7 32GB iPad or upgrade to another iPad in the list - and purchase the optional iPad Pencil
- Print off your receipt as proof of purchase prior to collecting your iPad during the first two days of the course (3/4 September).
Unfortunately, it will not be possible to accept any requests to upgrade after Wednesday 24 July 2019.
The upgrade cost must be paid by the trainee to enable the payment to be processed.
See choices below. If you decide on the 6th Generation 9.7 32GB iPad there is no additional cost to the student, but you must log in and confirm your selection online - select an iPad.
- iPad 6th Gen 9.7-inch WiFi 32GB - €0.00 (no additional cost)
- iPad 6th Gen 9.7-inch WiFi 128GB - €100
- iPad Air 10.5-inch WiFi 64GB - €220
- iPad Air 10.5-inch WiFi 256GB - €390
- iPad Pro 11-inch WiFi 64GB - €550
- iPad Pro 11-inch WiFi 256GB - €720
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi 64GB - €770
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch WiFi 256GB - €940
- iPad Pencil - €100 available to purchase at introduction days
iPad Setup /IT Induction
Student iPad deployment and iPad training will take place over the first two days of the course during the IT Induction session 3/4 September. Attendance at these sessions is compulsory.
- iPads will be handed out to the students at the IT Induction sessions during the first two days of the PPC1 2019 course
- Bring your iPad receipt/proof of purchase
- Bring your Apple ID username and password to your IT Induction session. This is required for all trainees. For help setting up an Apple ID, got to manage your account on the Apple website or contact Apple Support
If you have any queries regarding iPads, please email iPad@lawsociety.ie.
All course reading and study material are included in your fees and you will not be required to purchase any books. You must attend this distribution at the correct time. Failure to do so will result in you being charged the last collection fee (€5 per booklet). The first distribution is listed on the timetable. You will be required to sign in person for all course materials.
Please be advised we are distributing a large amount of materials on the first couple of days of the course and we advise that you bring a suitable bag/case.
Lockers are available in both the Education Centre and the main Law Society building for a €50 (non-refundable) fee and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. All lockers are sold out.
Trainee ID Cards - upload photo
Trainees must carry a valid ID card at all times. Your ID card contains a barcode unique to you. This card is used for monitoring attendance, identification for collecting materials, entering exams etc. This card is also a smart card and can be used to buy print credit by topping up online.
In order to receive your Trainee ID Card, we require all trainees to upload a suitable digital (.jpeg) passport-type photograph to your profile on the Law Society website.
Upload your ID photo
- Log in using your Law Society ID number (also known as your FE-1 number).
- At the top right hand of the screen click on your name and a drop-down will appear. Click on View My Dashboard.
- This will bring you to your profile page, click on the Edit Profile button.
- This will bring you to the Edit Profile page, click on the link ‘upload profile picture’ and select the file you want to upload.
- The image must be of type .jpeg/.jpg.
- Access your dashboard
If you need help, contact email@example.com.
Attendance at all lectures and tutorials is mandatory. Tutors monitor attendance at tutorials. Trainees who fail to attend 7 tutorials will be asked to meet with Geoffrey Shannon (Deputy Director of Education). Trainees who fail to attend 9 tutorials will be asked to meet with TP Kennedy (Director of Education), and at that stage the training solicitors will be notified.
Failure by a student to attend any part of any module on the Skills Course, (whatever the reason for such non-attendance), may be treated as a failure to complete the Skills Course and therefore a failure to meet the skills attendance requirements on the PPC I. Failure to meet the skills attendance requirements will have the consequences specified in the Skills Attendance Policy.
Extra Mural Classes
The Law School are pleased to offer trainees the option to participate in extra curricular classes during their training on PPCI. The classes are varied and although not specific to the Profession, are designed to enhance personal development. They are a great opportunity to meet contemporaries outside of their usual training classroom setting and develop relationships based on personal interests, which may prove useful in the future. As classes become available they will be posted to your iTunes U General Information Course page.