See guidance and supports for opening your business.
The Government has published detailed information to help businesses prepare to open on the Gov.ie website. This includes the 'five phases' for reopening beginning on 18 May 2020, and the financial supports available for companies returning to work.
To support workplaces in adapting their operations to protect public health, the Government has also published a detailed 'Return to Work Safely Protocol'.
Law Society resources
The Support Services team has produced a Guideline for Legal Firms on Returning to Onsite Working. The guide is based on the Roadmap for Reopening Society and Business recently issued by the Irish Government.
A Guideline on Remote and Flexible Working Arrangements is also available, with practical guidance on implementing remote working within a law firm, flexible hours and more.
Sample contact log
In order to comply with the Return to Work Safely Protocol (page 6), firms must maintain a contact log to record attendance at their offices of clients, suppliers, or other visitors. The objective of this is to facilitate contact tracing in the event of a staff member or visitor being identified as having Covid-19.
There is no prescribed format for the log, but it should facilitate easy identification and contacting of visitors and relevant staff and at the same time minimise data collected to conform with GDPR. At a minimum it should contain:
- Visitor’s name (Printed)
- Mobile telephone number
- Company/Firm name, where relevant
- Internal firm contact
- Time of arrival and departure.
To fulfil normal data protection law requirements, you should note:
- The contact sheet should have notice (e.g. “This data is being collected at the direction of the HSE and will only be used for the purposes of Covid-19 contact tracing and for no other purpose. It will be retained for no longer than 3 months”).
- Data collected should be used for this purpose only.
- Logs should be removed daily and retained securely for an appropriate length of time.
- Reception, security and other staff should be trained in the use of the log.
- Pens should not be provided: visitors should use their own pen.
- Sanitisers, etc., should be available at the location of the contact log.
The Law Society has produced a Sample Covid-19 Contact Log.