Access news, resources and training for in-house solicitors in the private and public sectors.
A number of recent news items relevant for in-house solicitors are listed below.
- The latest Gazette includes an in-depth look at the new Renewable Electricity Support Scheme (RESS) and its implications for the Irish renewable energy sector. Author Ronan O'Grady, Head of Legal at Solar 21, argues that the RESS moves Ireland to a competitive auction approach for renewable energy generators. Read the Jan-Feb 2020 Gazette
- A limited number of complimentary places are available for this month's European Company Lawyers Association (ECLA) 'Legal Disruption' conference in Dublin. To avail of the offer, use the access code IRE_LD20_1 when booking. See details of Legal Disruption
- In a Gazette interview, DLA Piper Managing Partner David Carthy discusses major changes in the Irish legal scene, including the growth of the in-house sector. Read the interview
- The European Company Lawyers Association (ECLA) and its French Association AFJE are launching a pan-European survey on the opportunity and possible implementation of a European Business Code. The organisations wish to test the hypothesis that a unified piece of legislation making European business law more accessible would facilitate economic convergence, trade, investment and growth. Take the survey
- The Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) has opened a regional office in Ennis, Co Clare, providing ease of access to parties from Clare, Limerick and Galway East. See details on Gazette.ie
Find some useful resources for in-house solicitors here.
- New books in the Law Society Library cover company meetings and resolutions, commercial contracts, disciplinary and regulatory proceedings and more. Access Library resources
- Members can access complimentary webinar training from the Career Support team. Sessions focused on excelling at interview – including competency-based interviews and answers to difficulty questions – can be viewed discretely wherever suits you. See interview training for solicitors
For comprehensive information on all the benefits offered to Law Society members, download the Member Services Directory
The Diploma Centre and Law Society Professional Training provide training for in-house solicitors in the private and public sectors.
- Law Society Finuas Skillnet will offer an Employment Law Masterclass on 20 March 2020. The one-day event will cover common and complex issues faced by in-house practitioners, including displinary investigations, discrimination, working time, and more. Book the Employment Law Masterclass 2020
- A Certificate in Public Procurement course starts on 31 March 2020. Delivered by the Diploma Centre, this course covers the sources and scope of procurement law, both domestically and in the EU, essential steps for conducting a lawful procurement process, and up-to-date jurisprudence. See details of the Certificate in Public Procurement
The In-house and Public Sector Committee aims to hold three events during 2020:
- A Panel Discussion, on 28 May, in Dublin,
- A regional Panel Discussion in the latter part of the year,
- An Annual Conference, in Dublin, on 5 November.
Details, including Brochures and Booking forms, will be posted on the Committee’s section of the website as soon as they are available.
In-house solicitors can connect and network with colleagues across organisations using a private LinkedIn group.
The In-House and Public Sector Committee
The In-House and Public Sector Committee aims to represent the views and promote the interests of this segment of the profession, while supporting the Law Society in the exercise of its representative, educational and regulatory roles as they relate to the in-house sector. Log in to find out about the In-House and Public Sector Committee.