Members can access over 45 hours of Law Society CPD online.
Law Society CPD contains a rich variety of courses across diverse areas of practice. With in-person CPD events cancelled until further notice, and mindful of the added financial pressure on firms and individual solicitors, staff in the Education Department are ready to deliver a range of complimentary online CPD for members as follows:
Law Society Finuas Skillnet has launched LegalED Talks, funded by Skillnet Ireland who are funded by the Department of Education and Skills. This is a free CPD series of weekly talks from expert speakers that will cover the following areas:
- Covid-19 legal practice updates, focused on new emergency legislation and initiatives that have been implemented by the Government, Courts Service and public sector bodies to address the current crisis. It will include the wage subsidisation legislation, business support initiatives, tax and revenue practice changes, civil litigation and PIAB, family and child law, probate, conveyancing, GDPR, cybersecurity, digital signatures and many other topics.
- Essential regulatory topics, such as section 150 costs and AML.
- IT Know-How Series, comprising talks and tutorials to assist you in the use of software tools to work remotely at home.
- Shrink Me Online, a 12-week programme designed by the Psychological Services Section of the Law Society Education Department. It will comprise of two distinct elements: Unlocking Wellness Together (which will be delivered by psychologists, professional leadership and coaching experts and counsellors) and the Legal Lives Series (which will share interesting insights and perspectives from many well-known individuals within the legal profession).
All LegalED Talks are short sessions comprising various formats of delivery that can be accessed from your LegalED Talks Learning Management Hub. Sessions will be disability accessible with closed caption/sub-titles and will include knowledge checks. New sessions will be uploaded weekly so keep checking to make sure you don’t miss out on this great new learning support. Over 26 free CPD hours will be available.
Registration for this programme will open on Wednesday 15 April, but you can already find information on the LegalED Talks or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Free participation in Diploma Centre courses
The Diploma Centre will also provide 21 hours of free CPD with the following new courses:
- Free participation for solicitors in the new Certificate in Technology Law, which starts on 16 April and provides 14 CPD hours. This course will run for five weeks and experts will provide an overview of key areas such as social media and the law, data protection, eCommerce, cybersecurity and cybercrime.
- Free participation for solicitors on the Introduction to Arts, Entertainment and Media Law, which starts on 16 April and provides 7 CPD hours. Also offered for five weeks, expert speakers will offer an insight into broadcasting, publishing, contractual obligations and litigation in the entertainment industry, copyright and image rights.
Lectures will be released weekly and both courses include live interactive workshops. All lectures and workshops are also available to view on demand. Registration for both courses will open on 15 April 2020. To register visit www.lawsociety.ie/diplomacentre