<span style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif;color:#404040;"></span>
The closing date for applications is Thursday 1 February 2018
. To pay online click on the 'Book Now' button. For all other methods of payment including, draft, cheque and EFT please see our methods of payment
Application form (word)
We welcome applications for this course from suitably qualified non-members. Please explain your interest and set out any relevant experience in a cover letter and a brief CV. Such applications are subject to a supplemental fee.
- Member fee: €2500
- Non-member fee: €2700 (this is inclusive of a supplemental fee).
On completion of this training programme, participants will have:
- A comprehensive understanding of Corporate Law & Governance;
- Up-to-date knowledge of recent judicial decisions and legislative and procedural developments;
- An insight into the importance of the necessary skills and negotiating tactics used in a boardroom environment;
- An ability to analyse the essential transactional documentation in practice;
- Developed their capacity for independent learning.
Programme structure and approach to learning
The Diploma in Corporate Law and Governance aims to provide students with a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the law in relation to this interesting and changing sector, which has seen numerous changes since the introduction of the Companies Act 2014.
The Diploma focuses on typical ‘events’ during the lifetime of a corporate entity that solicitors advise on, as well as practical aspects of corporate governance. We have introduced an innovative boardroom simulation module which will take place over a 2 week period. Students will gain an interactive insight into boardroom meetings and effective board behaviour.
The Diploma in Corporate Law and Governance programme is based on the following module scheme and covers key themes as listed below:
Module 1: Introduction to corporate law and governance in Ireland
- Overview of the Companies Act 2014
- Company life-cycle
- Funding a start up
- Advising shareholders
Module 2: Corporate governance
- Share capital and company status management
- Corporate governance of regulated entities
- Transactions involving directors
- Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement
Module 3: Boardroom simulation
- Practitioner’s perspective of corporate governance
- Advising directors
- Boardroom simulation workshop
Module 4: Corporate transactions
- Tax issues
- Financing a transaction
- Sectoral regulation
- Share options
Module 5: Mergers and acquisitions
- Share purchase agreements
- Asset purchase agreements
- Acting for the investor
Module 6: Public limited companies and securities markets
- The securities market
- Types of public offers
- Market regulation
- Takeovers regulation by the Irish Takeover Panel
Module 7: Insolvency and corporate restructuring
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Advising during receivership process
- Winding-up process
- Formal and informal restructuring
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for the following:
- Solicitors, barristers, and trainees who work in the area of corporate law and governance.
- Legal secretaries and those involved in improving their knowledge of company law and documentation.
- Companies directors seeking to broaden their understanding of the corporate law.
- Other suitable professionals who are interested in the area of corporate law and governance.
We welcome applications for this course from suitably qualified non-members. Please explain your interest and set out any relevant experience in a cover letter and a brief CV. Such applications are subject to a supplemental fee, which amounts to €200 in respect of a diploma application.
Workshops are interactive sessions that focus on group problem-solving and are designed to revise all modules covered to date and to consolidate the participant’s knowledge.
- Workshop 1: Thursday 22 March 2018
- Workshop 2: Saturday 14 April 2018
- Workshop 3: Saturday 10 May 2018
- Workshop 4: Thursday 31 May 2018
- Workshop 5: Thursday 14 June 2018
Lecturers and tutors will be drawn from solicitors, barristers, accountants, and others with expertise in the field of corporate law and governance. Previous lecturers have included:
- Patrick Ambrose, Solicitor
- Deirdre Bennett, ByrneWallace
- Adrian Brennan, Director of Corporate Enforcement
- Barry Cahir, William Fry
- Marsha Coghlan, A&L Goodbody
- Niall Collins, Mason Hayes & Curran
- Enda Cullivan, Eversheds
- John Darby, Flynn O’Driscoll
- Paul Egan, Mason Hayes & Curran
- James Johnston, Irish Stock Exchange
- Neil Keenan, LKG Solicitors
- Sinead Kelly, A&L Goodbody
- Brian McEnery, BDO Chartered Accountants
- Philip McQueston, A&L Goodbody
- David Mangan, Mason Hayes & Curran
- Lee Murphy, Eversheds
- Peppe Santoro, Venture Legal Services
- Bob Semple, Consultant
- Emer Shelly, Eversheds
- Gavin Simons, AMOSS Solicitors
- Lorcan Tiernan, Dillon Eustace
*Every effort has been made to ensure the information contained in these pages is accurate and up to date. However timetables and course content are subject to change and date and time changes may occur due to factors beyond our control.