The Law Society of Ireland’s Diploma Centre and the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) offer this course jointly.
Starting on 24 September, the course has been designed by practitioners with specialist exposure to give a practical insight into key estate planning, legal- and tax-based concerns for private clients in the area of trust and estates. The focus of the diploma course is to enable successful candidates to advise clients on all aspects of the creation of wills, the operation of trusts, associated tax implications, and overall estate planning for clients. Practical in its approach, this course provides participants with real-life situations that practitioners face, and it gives real solutions to problems encountered.
The Diploma in Trust and Estate Planning is based on the following module scheme and covers key themes as listed below:
Module 1: Course introduction
- Lifetime and estate planning,
- Basic legal principles,
- Basic tax principles.
Module 2: Introduction to taxation issues
- Application of tax principles,
- CGT, income tax, stamp duty, CAT,
- Double taxation agreements.
Module 3: Lifetime and estate planning
- Lifetime gifting and passing of value on death,
- Legal issues and tax implications of wealth planning structures,
- Financial planning.
Module 4: Trust drafting
- Requirements of a valid trust,
- Classification of trusts,
- Drafting an effective trust deed.
Module 5: Administration of trusts
- Office of trustee and trustee powers,
- Breach of trust,
- Tax issues in trusts.
Module 6: Will drafting
- Testamentary capacity,
- Solicitors’ duty of care,
- Assisted decision-making.
Module 7: Administration of estates
- Applying for the grant,
- Litigation, Distribution of assets.
Our lecturers are drawn from solicitors, barristers, financial and other professionals with a variety of probate, tax and financial backgrounds. All lecturers are members of STEP Ireland and are experienced practitioners in the area of wills, probate, trusts, tax and estate planning generally.
Make a booking
For further information visit the Diploma Centre page or contact the course leader, Riona Leahy: firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Legal Training eZine