Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) news and resources for the indemnity period 2014/2015, including a guide to renewal, run-off cover, insurers and brokers, regulations and the common proposal form, can be found in this section.
Information for all other indemnity periods (including 2013/2014) can be found under Other PII Resources.
Insurance Status of Firm
Please note that information on the current professional indemnity insurance (“PII”) provider for each firm is available through Find a Firm.
PII News & Resources
Click on the links below for PII news and resources:
Latest PII News
- 2014/2015 PII documentation, including Guide to Renewal, Common Proposal Form and lists of insurers and brokers, is now available to download below.
- Finance for premiums - facility to finance 2014/2015 professional indemnity insurance premiums
- PII Quotes - All insurers are required to leave quotes to firms open for a period of not less than 10 working days. This requirement was introduced in the 2012/2013 indemnity period and remains in place for the 2014/2015 indemnity period.
- The PII helpline has been re-launched to assist firms with PII queries and is available Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm. Phone 01 8798707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the Society’s practice note of November 2014 on the financial rating of insurers.
- Special Purpose Fund ("SPF") Manager - Following an extensive tender process, the position of SPF Manager commencing in the 2014/2015 indemnity period was awarded to Triton Claims Ireland Limited. The current SPF Manager, Capita Commercial Insurance Services, will remain as SPF Manager until the end of the 2013/2014 indemnity period. Queries or applications to the SPF Manager up to 30 November 2014 should be directed to Capita. Queries or applications to the SPF Manager on or after 1 December 2014 should be directed to Triton. The contact details of both Capita and Triton are available in the SPF Manager section of the Guide to Renewal.
The Guide to Run-off Cover for 2014/2015 will be available shortly.
For information on run-off cover, including the Run-off Fund, the Special Purpose Fund Manager and Run-off Fund Guidelines, see the Run-off cover section.
Guide to Renewal
The 2014/15 Guide to Renewal provides tips for renewal, information on changes to the PII terms for the 2014/2015 indemnity period, guidelines for completing the common proposal form and a guide to insurers and brokers.
Current PII Regulations & minimum terms and conditions
Common Proposal Form
The editable Common Proposal Form can be downloaded below - it is a large file so it may take a few moments to open. Please save it to your computer before you complete the form.
Please note: A certificate of good standing is not required to be included with the common proposal form as part of your PII application.
View the Participating Insurers Agreement for 2014/2015.
View a list of insurers for 2014/154.
It should be noted that the minimum level of participation in the Special Purpose Fund for any insurer who signs the Participating Insurers Agreement will be 1%.
A list of brokers, who have expressed their willingness to arrange PII cover from the qualified insurers for the 2014/2015 indemnity period is available now. View a list of brokers for 2014/15.
Please note that a guide to insurers and brokers is available in the Guide to Renewal.
Confirmation of Cover
Confirmation of cover for 2014/2015 must be provided to the Law Society no later than close of business on Thursday 4 December 2014. It is the statutory responsibility of the solicitor firm to ensure that such confirmation of cover is provided to the Law Society in the required form.
Brokers can furnish the Society with confirmation of cover on behalf of the firm via the Society’s website. Such confirmation must include your policy number, and confirmation of cover cannot be provided until the policy is actually in place.
It is noted that some firms who have confirmed PII cover to the Society during 2014 have a coverage period that extends past 30 November 2014. Such firms are still required to re-confirm cover for 2014/2015 with the Society by 4 December 2014.
Please note that your firm will not be reflected as having PII in place on the Society’s “Find a Firm” online search facility until the Society has received the required online confirmation of cover, and the Law Society’s system has been updated.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.
PII Policy Documentation
Details of the ARP policy, ARP premium schedule, run-off policy, run-off rules and SPF Management Committee rules for 2014/2015 will be published shortly.
More PII information
For more PII information including statutory instruments, Society eBulletins, a list of Risk Management Consultants and information on previous indemnity periods, see Other PII Resources.
PII Helpline for Solicitors
The Law Society operates a helpline to assist firms in dealing with the professional indemnity insurance queries. The helpline can be contacted by phoning 01 879 8707 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and is available Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm .
Back to top