Please note that information on the current professional indemnity insurance (“PII”) provider for each firm is available through Find a Firm.
Click on the links below for PII news and resources:
- SPF Manager change of address - As of 7 April 2014, the address of the Special Purpose Fund Manager, Capita Commercial Insurance Services, is 65 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7NQ. The phone number (0044-207-397-4539) and email (email@example.com) remain the same. Any queries regarding the Assigned Risks Pool or the Run-off Fund should be directed to Capita as the SPF Manager.
- Finance for premiums - facility to finance 2013/2014 professional indemnity insurance premiums
- PII Quotes - All insurers are required to leave quotes to firms open for a period of not less than 10 working days. This requirement was introduced in the 2012/2013 indemnity period and remains in place for the 2013/2014 indemnity period.
- 16th October, 2013 Practice Note - PII Renewal
- 16th October, 2013 Practice Note - Financial rating of participating insurers
- 16th October, 2013 Practice Note - Common Proposal Form
- Download the 2013/14 Common Proposal Form
- The PII helpline has been re-launched to assist firms with PII queries and is available Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm. Phone 01 8798707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Update on 20th September, 2013 - see eBulletin.
- See the Society’s practice note in the July 2013 Gazette, for information on the financial rating of insurers.
- Special Purpose Fund ("SPF") Manager
The SPF Manager is Capita Commercial Insurance Services - they are responsible for managing the Assigned Risks Pool and the new Run-off Fund. The SPF Manager can be contacted by phone on 0044-207-397-4539 or email email@example.com.
For information on run-off cover, including the Run-off Fund, the Special Purpose Fund Manager and Run-off Fund Guidelines, see the Run-off cover section.
Guide to Renewal
The 2013/2014 Guide to Renewal provides tips for renewal, information on changes to the PII terms for the 2013/2014 indemnity period, guidelines for completing the common proposal form (see link below) and a guide to insurers and brokers. See the 2013/14 Guide to Renewal.
Current PII Regulations & minimum terms and conditions
The current statutory instrument regarding professional indemnity insurance comprises the Solicitors Acts 1954 to 2008 (Professional Indemnity Insurance) Regulations 2011, the Solicitors Acts 1954 to 2011 (Professional Indemnity Insurance) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 and the Solicitors Acts 1954 to 2011 (Professional Indemnity Insurance) (Amendment) Regulations 2013.
Click on the links below to download the regulations and minimum terms and conditions for the 2013/14 indemnity period:
Common Proposal Form
The editable Common Proposal Form for 2013/14 can be downloaded below - it is a large file so it may take a few moments to open.
A supplementary claim form and Financial Services Questionnaire are also available to download below.
Please Note: A certificate of good standing is not required to be included with the common proposal form as part of your PII application.
View the Participating Insurers Agreement for 2013/2014.
View a list of insurers for 2013/14.
It should be noted that the minimum level of participation in the Special Purpose Fund for any insurer who signs the Qualified Insurers Agreement will be 1%.
A list of brokers, who have expressed their willingness to arrange PII cover from the qualified insurers for the 2013/2014 indemnity period is available now. View a list of brokers for 2013/14.
Please note that a guide to insurers and brokers will also be available in the Guide to Renewal.
Confirmation of Cover
All confirmation of cover must be provided online by insurers and brokers. If you have any difficulty with the system, please contact the Society at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PII Policy Documentation
For details of the ARP policy, ARP premium schedule, run-off policy, run-off rules and SPF Management Committee rules, see the 2013/2014 PII policy documentation.
For more PII information including statutory instruments, Society eBulletins, a list of Risk Management Consultants and information on previous indemnity periods, see Other PII Resources.
PII Helpline for Solicitors
The Law Society operates a helpline to assist firms in dealing with the professional indemnity insurance queries. The helpline can be contacted by phoning 01 879 8707 or emailing email@example.com and is available Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm .
Back to top