Law Society Professional Training
165 Law Society Skillnet Members
This is a full-day conference (6 hours).
Click on the relevant link for further information on the Morning Conference or Afternoon Conference
Aim and Objectives
Law Society Professional Training is pleased to announce that in association with The Intellectual Property Law Committee of the Law Society it is running an Intellectual Property Law Conference. The Conference aims to provide an opportunity for lawyers and members of industry to discuss proposed developments and policy issues in this area of law.
Topics and Issues Covered
The Conference will be divided into two parts. It will be possible to attend either both or just the afternoon or morning session.
- Unified Patent Courts - The Future:
- In the morning the Conference will consider the impact on practitioners and industry of the EU proposals to establish a Unified Patent Court. The Committee Members are concerned that the consequences of the Unified Patent Courts may be detrimental to practitioners and their clients, possibly having a negative effect on investment in Ireland and Ireland’s endeavours to brand itself as a knowledge economy. Speakers will explain the proposals and their history as well as giving a critique of the plans. This will be followed by a panel discussion. It is hoped that the Conference will be an opportunity to have a public and informed discussion of the impact of the Unified Patent Courts.
- Copyright and Trademarks 2013:
- In the afternoon the Conference will consider recent developments in trademark and copyright law. Topics covered will include: the consequences to trademarks arising from the proposed plain packaging legislation – Public Health (Tobacco) (Amendment) Bill 2012 and recent developments in the European Commission’s copyright laws.
- Alistair Payne, Chairman, Partner Matheson Solicitors, Dublin
- Dr John Cahir, Partner A&L Goodbody Solicitors, Dublin
- Mary Bleahene, Solicitor and Partner FR Kelly European Patent and Trademark Attorneys, Dublin
- Prof Robert Clark, Consultant Arthur Cox Solicitors, Dublin and author of IP Protection for Designers
- Jeremy Phillips, Consultant at Olswang LLP, London, Editor of Journal of IP Law & Practice,
- Patricia McGovern, Chairman IP Law Committee, Law Society of Ireland, Partner DFMG Solicitors, Dublin
- Yvonne McNamara, BL
- Ann Henry, Solicitor, Vice Chair IP Law Committee, Law Society of Ireland
- Karl Flannery, CEO Storm Technology Ltd and Chair Irish Software Association
- Richie Paul, Senior Director Intellectual Property at Alkermes Pharma Ireland Ltd
* Applicable to Law Society Skillnet members
2012 Outstanding Achievement Awards - Irish Institute of Training & Development - (IITD)
Most Innovative Use of Technology Category
Work Placement - Graduate and Non-Graduate Category
Awarded for excellence in training and development.